Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is an evergreen tree that is indigenous to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Myanmar. It can grow to about 82 feet, with a trunk reaching 3 feet in diameter. Kratom tree is prominent for its potent relaxing and medicinal benefits.
Kratom leaves are glossy and dark green, with an oval acuminate shape. The leaves, which are the one used for medicinal benefits, vary in size and vein color.
Different Strains of Kratom
Kratom comes in three types of color – white vein, green vein and red vein. On one hand, the names of different Kratom strains are derived from the land they originated, namely Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia. Such countries are further divided to more specific places.
- Thailand. Kratom strains from Thailand are called Thai breed. Thai Kratom are available in Red and Green Vein. Maeng-Da strain does not originate In Thailand but it is the most enhanced strain of the Thai breed that has improved through the years.
- Indonesia. Kratom from Indonesia are commonly called ‘Indo’. They are available in three colors. Bali is another type of Kratom breed that originated from Bali, a small region of Indonesia. It is believed to be a fusion of both Sumatra and Borneo.
- Malaysia. Kratom strains from Malaysia are commonly called ‘Malay Kratom. It comes in all three vein colors.
Different Varieties of Kratom
Kratom comes in different varieties being promoted in various parts of the world. Some of the most common varieties of Kratom include:
- Kratom Crushed Leaf. This contains crushed Kratom leaves. It has all the raw materials of the leaf including the stems and veins. It is ideal to be used as a rich herbal tea. Simply mix with hot water.
- Kratom Powder. The crushed Kratom leaves are further processed into powder form, making it more potent in this state than before. The reason is that during the grinding process, the stem and veins of the leaves are removed, leaving the most potent parts of the leaf that contains the most level of alkaloids intact.
- Kratom Vein and Stem. The stems and veins of Kratom leaf that is separated from the grinding process are also sold separately. These leaf parts still contains active alkaloids, although they have a lesser effectiveness rate of only 25 percent compared to other leaf material. Despite its lower potency, there are still consumers who prefer Kratom veins and stem.
- Kratom Powder Extract. This variety involves further processing of Kratom powder to render a more concentrated form. It provides a more powerful, stronger Kratom variety for consumers.
- Kratom Resin. To make a resin form of Kratom, a highly specialized technique is applied. The result is a much more superior level of potency due to the richness in its alkaloid content.
- Kratom Tincture. Kratom leaf extract is diluted with alcohol to make a rich tincture for users who want another variety of Kratom. The tincture can deliver a sufficient soothing effect.
- Kratom Capsules. Kratom leaf powder are encased in ingestible capsules. This is considered as the most convenient variety of Kratom.
- Enhanced Kratom. Thanks to modern research, certain Kratom strains have been significantly improve in terms of overall quality and effectiveness. These enhanced strains are processed into various forms of variants listed above to provide a more potent blend of Kratom.